SharePoint 2010 Upgrade Issue – Found 45 web(s) using missing web template 75820 (lcid: 1033) in ContentDatabase

Last week I was trying to migrating a SharePoint 2007 Deployment to 2010 which was very much out of the box without lot of customization.  I was thinking that It will be a straight forward thing BUT it was not like that.  I faced one issue that was quite weird. 

The customer has installed “Project Management” Fantastic 40 template and created around 45 subsites using it.  When I ran the Test-SPContentDatabase after attaching the content database to new environment I saw this error message “Found 45 web(s) using missing web template 75820”.  As normal steps I ask the team to provide me the FT Core and Project Management WSPs and I installed them and re-ran the Test-SPContentDatabase command.  But same error came back.  But I gave the upgrade a go with Mount-SPContentDB command and upgrade went fine but completed with error message given below.

[powershell] [SPContentDatabaseSequence] [ERROR] [8/29/2010 3:27:22 PM]: Found 45 web(s) using missing web template 75820 (lcid: 1033) in ContentDatabase PortalDB.
[powershell] [SPContentDatabaseSequence] [INFO] [8/29/2010 3:27:22 PM]: SPContentDatabase Name=PortalDB
[powershell] [SPContentDatabaseSequence] [ERROR] [8/29/2010 3:27:22 PM]: The site definitions with Id 75820 is referenced in the database [PortalDB], but is not installed on the current farm. The missing site definition may cause upgrade to fail. Please install any solution which contains the site definition and restart upgrade if necessary.

I looked at newly upgraded site.  It looks OK for a moment but very soon I realize that things are not well.  So I decide to do another iteration of the upgrade.  Cleaned the environment up and re-attached the databases.  To confirm that project management template is working fine I went to create site collection page and saw that “Project Management” was visible and I was able to create a new site collection based on this template.   Well and Good.  I went again to SharePoint powershell and run the test-spcontentdb command again and saw the same error message.  I decided that I will not go to the next step unless I fix this error message.  Me and the team both went on to Google things but does not found any fix for that.  I removed the Core and Project Management Template and deployed it again.  Still the Template was visible on create site template page.  Retried many times but still Test-SPContentDatabase showed the same error message.

I later went to WebTemp XML files and checked weather the WebTemp file for ProjectSing is available and it was there.  Tweaked it up a bit by moving to another WebTemp without any fix. 

Then an idea hit me to wheather to check how many templates are installed on this Farm.  I went to SharePoint PowerShell and tried a command Get-SPWebTemplate commandlet.  Amazingly the ProjectSing template was not visible there.  After trying some other commands

image

Then this clearly showed me that the problem is how I am deploying the core and project management wsp files.  What I did then is to Retract both the solutions  by retracting PM first and then Core and restarted the server after watching from Central Administration time job page that the job to remove the WSPs has been completed successfully.  

After Restart I went on and installed the core template and waited for 5 minutes until the Timer job to install the core was completed. 

Then Installed PM WSP and waited for 10 minutes till i saw that the job was completed successfully.

Then I went on to deploy Core and PM but waited till the Job is completed successfully.  Instead of testing the GetTemplate command I decided to give it a restart (Just In Case).

But as I restarted the server and re-Ran the Get-SPWebTemplate Command.  I saw the Projectsing Template visible in the list.  Watching this I went to Test-SPContentDatabase command and this time the message about 45 templates went off.  The upgrade went really fine without any error and the site worked perfectly for the customer.

Below are the error message I received the upgrade.log file

[powershell] [SPContentDatabaseSequence] [DEBUG] [8/29/2010 3:27:22 PM]: Retrieving site definition for language 1033…
[powershell] [SPContentDatabaseSequence] [ERROR] [8/29/2010 3:27:22 PM]: Found 45 web(s) using missing web template 75820 (lcid: 1033) in ContentDatabase PortalDB.
[powershell] [SPContentDatabaseSequence] [ERROR] [8/29/2010 3:27:22 PM]: The site definitions with Id 75820 is referenced in the database [PortalDB], but is not installed on the current farm. The missing site definition may cause upgrade to fail. Please install any solution which contains the site definition and restart upgrade if necessary.

So If you see this kind of error message while you upgrade please do not ignore them.  If you upgrade has not completed successfully, I would say go ahead and give it another try.  My personally experience was great when the upgrade went really great.

Advertisements

6 thoughts on “SharePoint 2010 Upgrade Issue – Found 45 web(s) using missing web template 75820 (lcid: 1033) in ContentDatabase

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s