The SharePoint Diagnostics (SPDiag) tool greatly simplifies the process of gathering and analyzing troubleshooting data, and can significantly reduce the time needed to diagnose issues. SPDiag provides administrators with a unified interface for troubleshooting SharePoint performance issues, and saves collected data and reports to a SQL Server database.
With SPDiag, you can:
- Collect IIS and ULS log files, performance counter data, event logs, and WMI instrumentation data from a SharePoint farm.
- Filter data to show granular information related to specific servers, Web applications, HTTP requests, event IDs, URI queries, and almost any other data points captured through supported channels.
- Create custom reports that can help reveal performance trends over time.
- Create snapshots of your SharePoint farm that include detailed information about your farm’s hardware, installed software and logical topology.
- Export collected data and reports that can be sent to Microsoft support personnel.
SPDiag is included in the Microsoft SharePoint Administration Toolkit v3.0, available for download at the following locations:
- Microsoft SharePoint Administration Toolkit v3.0 x86: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=141504
- Microsoft SharePoint Administration Toolkit v3.0 x64: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=142035
Documentation for SPDiag is available from those download pages as well.