A new security change in MOSS 2007 is that the machine administrators are not automatically the SharePoint administrators by defualt. If you would like your machine admins to be part of sharepoint they need to specified in policy settings for web application in SharePoint central adminstration. Here is the way to do that
Go to SharePoint Central Administration.
- Click on the Application Management tab.
- Under Application Security click on Policy for Web Application
- Click Add Users
- Confirm your settings on the screen (defaults should be what you want) and click Next
- Now enter your user or group of users
- Click the box beside Full Control – Has full control.
- Click Finish