VIA SharePoint Team Blogs
Installing Beta 2 Technical Refresh (B2TR) – What you need to know before you double click update.exe.
When B2TR is released you’ll notice that the installation source looks slightly different to what you got with B2 – that’s because it’s going to be released as a patch in exactly the same way a service pack or hotfix would be. You might be wondering why we’re doing it this way. Well, we have to test the new Office patching code and B2TR is the best way to do it! It gives us a chance to fine tune the process so that any future 2007 Office system patches work the way we intended and hopefully make your lives a little easier.
However – The net effect of releasing a patch during a beta cycle is that the update process for you is not a download and double click experience – depending on your configuration and your desired end result (Update from B2, clean B2TR install or an upgrade from SPS2003) there are several important manual steps to complete before, during and after the installation.
The purpose of this post is to point you towards the update documentation now so you can read and understand the steps relevant to your circumstances before B2TR is available.
STEP1: READ THE OFFICE SHAREPOINT SERVER 2007 UPDATE DOCUMENTATION
The documentation for Office SharePoint Server 2007 B2TR consists of two documents – an update guide which includes all the required steps to update an existing B2 installation, install a clean copy of B2TR and upgrade an SPS2003 installation to B2TR and a Readme which contains troubleshooting tips and workarounds for known issues.
IMPORTANT: YOU MUST READ THE UPDATE GUIDE AND README PRIOR TO INSTALLING B2TR, THERE ARE SEVERAL MANUAL STEPS THAT NEED TO BE COMPLETED FOR EACH UPDATE SCENARIO IN ORDER FOR THE UPDATE TO SUCCEED.
NOTE: Some links in the documentation may not be live until B2TR is released, I WILL UPDATE THIS POST WITH THE B2TR DOWNLOAD URLS WHEN THEY ARE AVAILABLE.
· SharePoint Server 2007 B2TR Update Guide – This includes all of the update steps, known issues, workarounds and planning guidance.
· SharePoint Server 2007 B2TR Readme – This includes workarounds and fixes for less common issues for specific configurations.
STEP2: UNDERSTAND THE KNOWN ISSUES AND WORKAROUNDS
There are several known issues that could affect many B2TR update attempts – these include.
· When updating a B2 installation to B2TR all language packs and SKUs (e.g. Project Server) should be installed on B2 BEFORE B2TR is installed – you will not be able to add or remove language packs or SKUs after the update is applied. This limitation will not apply at RTM for B2TR -> RTM installations.
· Before starting to update a B2 installation you must shut down the Search service – it is possible to corrupt your search index if an indexer is online and writing to the index during the update.
· If you originally installed SharePoint Server Standard Edition there is a mandatory extra step required before the update can be started which is detailed in the Readme.
· When installing a clean installation of B2TR you must create a web application and install any language packs or SKUs on B2 then apply the B2TR update.
· If you are planning to upgrade an existing SPS2003 installation please read and follow the upgrade instructions very carefully.
WINDOWS SHAREPOINT SERVICES 3.0 UPDATE DOCUMENTATION
If you are running Windows SharePoint Services 3.0 and do not have SharePoint Server 2007 installed you should follow the instructions in the WSS 3.0 Update guide and accompanying Readme.
· Windows SharePoint Services 3.0 B2TR Update Guide
· Windows SharePoint Services 3.0 B2TR Readme
MICROSOFT OFFICE FORMS SERVER 2007 UPDATE DOCUMENTATION
If you are running Office Forms Server 2007 you should follow the instructions in the Update guide below and accompanying Readme.
· Office Forms Server 2007 B2TR Update Guide
· Office Forms Server 2007 B2TR Readme
MICROSOFT OFFICE PROJECT SERVER 2007 UPDATE DOCUMENTATION
If you are running Office Project Server 2007 you should follow the instructions in the Update guide below.
· Office Project Server 2007 B2TR Update Guide